Contempt and enforcement are a means for which to gain compliance by a party who is not abiding by a court order.

Contempt arises when someone willfully fails to comply with the terms of a court order.  The order may be a Final Judgment of Dissolution, any other type of final order or even a temporary order.  If a person willfully fails to comply with the order, that person may be held in contempt.  A court hearing is required to find a party in contempt.  It is important if you are facing contempt allegations or if you are seeking a remedy through a contempt motion to consult with an experienced and qualified attorney.

After a court delivers a final judgment regarding an issue, the court has the ability to enforce its ruling if one of the party’s violates the order or judgment. In family law matters, often a party violates an order requiring him or her to make child support or spousal support payments or comply with a final judgment in a divorce case. In order to enforce an order or judgment the Florida courts have the ability to enter a monetary judgment for vested arrearages, garnish the violator’s wages, place a lien on the violator’s property and to suspend a violator’s professional and/or driver’s licenses. If you are owed money for any type of support or as a part of a final judgment and you have not been paid as directed by the court, contact Elaine M. Simon to discuss your particular situation and to develop an enforcement plan that will ensure compliance with your final orders.